[winswitch] [Xpra] Android client

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Wed Jun 24 16:30:49 BST 2015

On 24/06/15 19:47, Jakub Księżniak wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for all feedback. I've read a bit about licensing and I came up
> with some thoughts.
>
> 1. To write a fully functional client application, a network protocol
> must be implemented to communicate with other side. In this case, the
> only available reference is a source code of Xpra and wiki pages.

Correct.

> 2. Unfortunately the documentation found on the wiki is not
> sufficient, as for example I had to learn from Java sample code what
> capabilities must be sent in a Hello packet in order to connect to the
> server. Without it, it's impossible to get a reasonable response, not
> to mention about other features.

Yes, that's unfortunate.

> 3. If the Xpra protocol was described in some official document like
> RFC6143 for the RFB protocol, then I could base on it instead of the
> Xpra sources.

Indeed, the documentation on the wiki is fairly complete if not up to
date, it could be turned into an RFC, given time...
The flags

> To sum up, it appears that my code is a "derived work" and thus the
> only option is to choose a GPL license. :-(

That is my interpretation - but not necessarily the right one!

> Then, I'll change license information on Github with my next commit.

I really don't like this outcome because it sounds like I am forcing a
license (GPL) on your code, one that I didn't even choose to begin
with... and I have no personal preference for it in any case.
So I hope that someone else can suggest a way out of this conundrum.

PS: I found the O'Reilly book " Intellectual Property and Open Source":
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596517960.do
very relevant to this discussion. In particular chapters 12 and 13.