[winswitch] fonts don't scale nicely in Eclipse

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Mon Feb 1 18:02:37 GMT 2016

On 01/02/16 09:29, Ron Eggler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I finally got Xpra on my Ubuntu 14.04 machine working by using 0.15.10
> (rather than the supplied version from the Trusty repo).
> I connect to it with the Windows client and am sing Eclipse as the
> application to display. Now, the rendering is happening on a screen with a
> resolution of 1366 x 768 and turns out that the fonts are not being
> displayed very nicely.
Can you be more specific?
Is it a size issue or sub-pixel rendering or something else?

> it's usable but could definitely be better. Is there
> any way I can improve the font rendering from within the Xpra client (on
> Win7)?
The problem is likely to be caused by Ubuntu... and there is a solution
but it is non trivial to get it running: Ubuntu uses Xvfb, other distros
use Xdummy. See:
http://xpra.org/trac/wiki/Xdummy
Fedora and CentOS also have patched dummy drivers in their RPM
repositories, which allows us to improve DPI handling, see also:
http://xpra.org/trac/wiki/DPI
And in particular:
http://xpra.org/trac/ticket/882