[winswitch] clueless new user w/prob(s?): xpra start - "start" - invalid mode+init error

L.A. Walsh xpra at tlinx.org
Fri Nov 11 16:29:19 GMT 2016

I really don't know what I'm doing, or the benefit(s) of xpra/winshift over
a regular X session, but I'm having problems even "starting".

I'm trying to start a server, locally so I can try starting clients to
display on it, but it doesn't seem to like the 'start' flag.

Currently, I use the X-server from cygwin running as ":0" to display
X-clients coming from an "almost headless" linux-server (who also
have DISPLAY set to my winbox (DISPLAY=athenae:0).

By almost headless, I mean that the video HW  on the linux-box
is not good for doing much beyond displaying a text console, so
I don't even run an X server on the linux box.  I rely on the
Win7SP1x64 client for display -- mostly gvim instances and maybe
a machine-status prog like xosview.  Rarely, I bring up
other X-using progs on the server, like firefox -- but those
are rare usages since for things like that I use programs
running on the Windows box.

I have tried to forward sound a few times, but generally gave up
on that as being too complicated to setup or just not working so well.

I would *like* to have GLX working to allow running GLX using programs
on the linux box to display on my Windows box which has a decent
graphics card.

I usually disable security between linux and my Winbox as it
slows things down and is unneeded (really!).  The winbox isn't
on the outside net(internet), and uses the server to access outside
services.

Anyway, how would something as basic as "start" not
work when I run it on the winbox?

Exact error is "xpra initialization error: invalid mode 'start'".

Any idea why something so basic wouldn't work or give any useful
hint as to what was wrong?

Thanks!
-linda