[winswitch] windows xpra client CPU usage

Thomas Esposito tmesposito00 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 15:47:54 GMT 2016

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 12:21 AM, Antoine Martin <antoine at nagafix.co.uk>
wrote:

> Please don't top post.
>
> On 17/11/16 12:14, Thomas Esposito wrote:
> > I'm pretty sure that I have audio disabled on the server side,
> There are 3 possible values for the "speaker" option: on, off, disabled.
> If you disable it server side, the client cannot enable it.
>
> > but I'll check again tomorrow.
> >
> > Do I have to do anything special to disable audio
> > on the client side?
> There are many ways of doing this on the client side, you can add:
> * "--speaker=off" to you command line, as a one-off.
> * "speaker=off" to your connection file if you use one (for that host)
> * "speaker=off" to your user settings (affects all connections)
> * "speaker=off" to your global xpra settings (affects all users)
> * turn it off using the system tray at runtime

Both speaker and microphone are set to disabled. Accordingly, they are both
"grayed out" on the client because they are disabled on the server.
Nevertheless, I still have a constant CPU usage of 5% to 7%. I don't know
if this matters, but since I have a reasonable high-bandwidth connection to
the server, I'm using zlib/lz4/lzo encoding which seems to result in
quicker response times.

Client version is beta 1.0 r14228, running on Windows 7.

Server is beta 1.0 r14232 running on RHEL 6.6.

FWIW, I observed the same behavior on 0.17.5.