[winswitch] windows xpra client CPU usage

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Thu Nov 17 15:53:20 GMT 2016

On 17/11/16 22:47, Thomas Esposito wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 12:21 AM, Antoine Martin <antoine at nagafix.co.uk
> <mailto:antoine at nagafix.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     Please don't top post.
>
>     On 17/11/16 12:14, Thomas Esposito wrote:
>     > I'm pretty sure that I have audio disabled on the server side,
>     There are 3 possible values for the "speaker" option: on, off, disabled.
>     If you disable it server side, the client cannot enable it.
>
>     > but I'll check again tomorrow.
>     >
>     > Do I have to do anything special to disable audio
>     > on the client side?
>     There are many ways of doing this on the client side, you can add:
>     * "--speaker=off" to you command line, as a one-off.
>     * "speaker=off" to your connection file if you use one (for that host)
>     * "speaker=off" to your user settings (affects all connections)
>     * "speaker=off" to your global xpra settings (affects all users)
>     * turn it off using the system tray at runtime
>

> Both speaker and microphone are set to disabled. Accordingly, they are
> both "grayed out" on the client because they are disabled on the server.
> Nevertheless, I still have a constant CPU usage of 5% to 7%.
Then it may just be that the application does repaint its window(s), or
maybe something else is causing the traffic (ie: clipboard?)

You may want to run in debug mode to see what is happening:
xpra attach -d all ...
If it's not immediately obvious, please attach the log to a ticket.

>I don't
> know if this matters, but since I have a reasonable high-bandwidth
> connection to the server, I'm using zlib/lz4/lzo encoding which seems to
> result in quicker response times.
Yes, if you have enough bandwidth, that's what you want.