[winswitch] new user questions for xpra

Antoine Martin totaam at xpra.org
Tue Sep 20 11:54:58 BST 2022

On 20/09/2022 04:43, Mika Laitio via shifter-users wrote:
> Hi I am new user trying the xpra and I have couple of questions.
> I amd using Mageia Linux 8 and my python version is 3.8.12.
> I have installed the latest xpra from sources with command:
>
>     python3 ./setup.py install --user
I am guessing that you are building from git master?

> 1) I try to execute the xpra with following command to connect
> to another computer on ip 192.168.1.31 that is also running the mageia 8:
>    xpra start ssh://lamikr@192.168.1.31 --start-child=xterm
> but I am getting following error
>
> xpra initialization error:
>   invalid value for sync_xvfb: None int() argument must be a string, a
> bytes-like object or a number, not 'NoneType'
Any of these solutions should work:
* specifying "--sync-xvfb=0"
* building a stable version instead of git master
* "git pull" and install again

> Should I use some different python version. (I know python is very
> incompatible between different versions)
No. There are no compatibility problems with any actively supported
Python versions (from 3.6 to 3.11 inclusive) though you may need a fully
up to date toolchain for Python 3.11

> 2) Do I need to install xpra also to computer that I try to connect
> or is xpra deploying somekind of runtime app to host machine during the
> connection?
Yes, install xpra at both ends.
(you may skip installing the client if you use the html5 client instead)

> https://github.com/Xpra-org/xpra/blob/master/docs/Usage/README.md
> does not really mention anything about install requirements
>
> 3) Will xpra work with wayland + xwayland compination installed or do I
> need to run either the host or client machine on X11 desktop session?
Assuming that you want to run a seamless server ("xpra start") then this
session will automatically start an X11 server for you to host the
application you want to run. (ie: xterm)

On the client side, you can run any window manager / desktop environment
you like, including Wayland. (though some features are not available
with Wayland clients)
https://github.com/Xpra-org/xpra/wiki/Platforms