[winswitch] Limitation to run only one application only

Antoine Martin totaam at xpra.org
Mon Feb 12 17:16:51 GMT 2024

On 04/02/2024 05:04, Mayost Sharon via shifter-users wrote:
> Hello
> I am trying to run only one app (xterm)
> On the server I run
> xpra start --html=on --start=xterm --bind-tcp=0.0.0.0:10000
>
> The problem when I connect through a browser (HTML5)
> I do get xterm
> But in addition there is a floating menu
> through which it is possible to run all the programs that are on the server
> Is there a way to disable that the client will not have access to run software
> Only according to what I define for the client
> In my example I want the client to be able to run only XTERM
It depends on how secure you want this to be and whether you want to see
this menu or not.

If all you want is hide this menu, there is already an option on the
html5 client's `connect.html` page, you can set "floating_menu=no" and
it won't be shown.

If you want to customize the list of applications shown in this start
menu, you can use the environment variable XPRA_MENU_LOAD_APPLICATIONS:
https://github.com/Xpra-org/xpra/issues/3227#issuecomment-890442890

If you want to prevent your users from starting *any* applications from
the menu, start your server with: `--start-new-commands=no`

Finally, please be aware that many desktop applications require or at
least use a dbus server - this opens many more possibilities for
interacting with the system and potentially launching other apps.