[winswitch] -nolisten local

Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira vini.ipsmaker at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 16:49:25 GMT 2024

Em ter., 20 de fev. de 2024 às 05:28, Antoine Martin via shifter-users
<shifter-users at lists.devloop.org.uk> escreveu:
> On 14/02/2024 23:30, Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira via shifter-users wrote:
> > How to make xpra add -nolisten local to Xorg invocation?
> You can just add it to your Xvfb command line in /etc/xpra, see:
> https://github.com/Xpra-org/xpra/blob/a3a51067e61d710d1f63b48e4bbffa66ff71ab83/fs/etc/xpra/conf.d/55_server_x11.conf.in#L32-L41

Does xpra depend on the X11 abstract socket? If not, why have it on as
the default? Isn't it just the same as -nolisten tcp?

I don't quite understand xpra's codebase. I tried to add -nolisten
local after these two lines to adjust the default:

* https://github.com/Xpra-org/xpra/blob/05001bba3cd32b3ad9d24cccdac4f2911b0b26e3/xpra/scripts/config.py#L127
* https://github.com/Xpra-org/xpra/blob/05001bba3cd32b3ad9d24cccdac4f2911b0b26e3/xpra/scripts/config.py#L147

However it doesn't work. Does it always use the files in /etc/xpra
that you mentioned?

> Incidentally, xpra v6 supports abstract sockets:
> https://github.com/Xpra-org/xpra/issues/4098
> Which you can turn off with --bind=noabstract

This is an extra abstract socket not related to X11 socket, right?

> The default is to use peercred to filter connections.

This won't work for Linux containers using unprivileged user
namespaces. For unprivileged user namespaces you can only use/map your
own UID so every container will have the same UID even if you're
trying to create containers isolated from each other. Unprivileged
user namespaces can't configure network stacks so you either disable
the network completely or every container shares the same network
namespace (and the same abstract UNIX socket addressing space).

These container limitations can be partially overcome by SUID helpers
(e.g. newuidmap and slirp4netns). However it doesn't mean that
peercreds alone for this purpose are safe. Enabling abstract sockets
indiscriminately isn't safe. Users wishing to make use of the abstract
UNIX sockets can proceed to do so only after careful planning taking
the interactions of the system as a whole into consideration to make
sure the feature will be safe.

--
Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
https://vinipsmaker.github.io/