[winswitch] Difficulty installing/running on Mac OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Arthur Zey arthur at deltawerx.com
Wed Aug 7 18:41:46 BST 2013

Antoine:

Please run in debug mode to get more info in the logs (and make sure no
> passwords are in them), preferably using:
> winswitch_applet --debug-mode

Unfortunately, I was unable to start in debug mode, as you suggested. I
managed to find the winswitch_applet binary, but I got an error when
executing:

[tw-mbp-azey bin]$ pwd
> /Applications/Window-Switch.app/Contents/Resources/bin
> [tw-mbp-azey bin]$ ll
> total 3088
> drwxr-xr-x@ 24 azey  admin     816 Jun 30 04:20 .
> drwxr-xr-x@ 20 azey  admin     680 Jun 30 04:20 ..
> -rwxr-xr-x@  1 azey  admin   16928 Jun 30 04:20 GST_Launcher
> -rwxr-xr-x@  1 azey  admin   16928 Jun 30 04:20 Xpra_Launcher
> -rwxr-xr-x@  1 azey  admin   20924 Jun 30 04:19 nxproxy
> -rwxr-xr-x@  1 azey  admin   16928 Jun 30 04:19 python
> -rwxr-xr-x@  1 azey  admin  278156 Feb  3  2013 rdesktop
> -rwxr-xr-x@  1 azey  admin  162112 Feb  3  2013 vncconfig
> -rwxr-xr-x@  1 azey  admin   28492 Feb  3  2013 vncpasswd
> -rwxr-xr-x@  1 azey  admin   20719 Feb  3  2013 vncserver
> -rwxr-xr-x@  1 azey  admin  927268 Jun 30 04:19 vncviewer
> lrwxr-xr-x   1 azey  admin      25 Jun 30 04:22 wcw ->
> winswitch_command_wrapper
> -rwxrwxr-x@  1 azey  admin      90 Jun 30 04:20 winswitch_applet
> -rwxrwxr-x@  1 azey  admin      87 Jun 30 04:20 winswitch_away
> -rwxrwxr-x@  1 azey  admin      87 Jun 30 04:20 winswitch_back
> -rwxrwxr-x@  1 azey  admin     102 Jun 30 04:20 winswitch_client
> -rwxrwxr-x@  1 azey  admin      88 Jun 30 04:20 winswitch_command_wrapper
> -rwxrwxr-x@  1 azey  admin      84 Jun 30 04:20 winswitch_open_remotely
> -rwxrwxr-x@  1 azey  admin      90 Jun 30 04:20 winswitch_server
> -rwxrwxr-x@  1 azey  admin      80 Jun 30 04:20 winswitch_ssh_Xnest
> -rwxrwxr-x@  1 azey  admin      77 Jun 30 04:20 winswitch_ssh_session
> -rwxrwxr-x@  1 azey  admin     119 Jun 30 04:20 winswitch_stdio_socket
> -rwxrwxr-x@  1 azey  admin     113 Jun 30 04:20 winswitch_stdio_tcp
> -rwxr-xr-x@  1 azey  admin   16928 Jun 30 04:20 xpra
> [tw-mbp-azey bin]$ ./winswitch_applet --debug-mode --without-virtualbox
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./winswitch_applet", line 3, in <module>
>     from winswitch.client import applet_wrapper
> ImportError: No module named winswitch.client

I'm afraid I'm not very good at figuring out what/how command line stuff
works in Mac OS.

However, I did edit the ~/.winswitch/client/client.conf file, and I set
"debug_mode=True" (changing it from "debug_mode=False"), and somehow, that
made the menu bar appear when I gave the dock icon focus. I switched it
back to "False", and the menu still works! (It's a little annoying to have
to deal with a dock icon instead of something in my "system tray", but I'll
live.) I managed to move a "Calculator" window from my Ubuntu computer at
home to my Mac OS laptop at work, so it looks like I'm in business. Now I
just have to install Pidgin, blah, blah, blah, on the Ubuntu computer at
home, and get used to the workflow of connecting to that from my various
computers.

Thanks for your help, even if it ended up helping me only accidentally!

Best Regards,

Arthur Zey
Arthur at DeltaWerx.com
213-915-6442