[winswitch] NVENC and xpra

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Fri Dec 13 06:04:02 GMT 2013

On 13/12/13 06:10, ... wrote:
> Over the network (ssh), glxspheres was very aliased (as in missing
> frames made it look like the spheres were moving erratically).
What encoding are you using?
> Warcraft III running through wine over the network ran in fullscreen
> on the client, though fonts were too small, but you are right, the
> mouse is super laggy.  Also, the graphics were laggy I'm sure due to
> network latency and the client being too slow at video decompression.
> The client is an old Pentium 4.
Decoding side we don't use any acceleration yet, that's a low priority
as most CPUs can decode h264 cheaply enough. A Pentium 4 however...
> Looks like tuning network usage and compression requirements is the
> next thing to look at.
All of this should be self tuning and you are unlikely to find a magic
bullet here.

If you are on a LAN, consider using "RGB" encoding and latest trunk:
http://xpra.org/trac/wiki/Encodings#ChoosinganEncoding
You can find some more background on the wiki:
http://xpra.org/trac/wiki/WindowRefresh