[winswitch] Xpra Ubuntu 13.04 poor quality and speed on local network

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Fri Jul 12 06:07:24 BST 2013

On 12/07/13 01:14, John Beavers wrote:
> On 07/11/2013 12:09 PM, Antoine Martin wrote:
>> On 12/07/13 00:04, John Beavers wrote:
>>> root_window_size=[1280, 1024]
>> I'll skim through the rest, but if you have 4 monitors, I would expect
>> the total screen area to be much bigger than this!
>>
>> Have you tried changing encodings to see if others work better? On a
>> LAN, you should be able to use plain rgb.
>>
>> Antoine
>>
> How do I change the root_window_size? Is that in xorg.conf?
The root_window_size is the size of the virtual X11 display we use on
the server end to run applications and grab their pixels.
When you connect to an xpra server, you should see in its log file
something similar to:
***
Handshake complete; enabling connection
Python/Gtk2 Linux client version 0.10.0 connected from 'laptop'
using x264 as primary encoding, also available: rgb24, vpx, webp, png,
png/L, png/P, jpeg, rgb32
max client resolution is 3286x1080 (from [[3286, 1080]]), current server
resolution is 3288x1080
best resolution matching 3286x1080 is unchanged: 3288x1080
(..)
***
Here, the vfb is set to 3288x1080 to match my client resolution. Yours
should do the same thing and match your client's display size.
If it does not, then you are going to get all sorts of problems like the
ones you describe (missing clicks, windows that don't appear where they
should, don't display properly, etc)

Then if I check with xpra info, I see (slightly different namespace
output in 0.10):
***
$ xpra info | grep root_window_size
server.root_window_size=(3288, 1080)