[winswitch] NVENC developer key?

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Fri Nov 21 03:04:14 GMT 2014

Good news everyone,

It seems that the beta drivers 346.16 do not require *any* license keys
at all to run (at least on the "GTX 750Ti"s I have tested on).
So, anyone with a sufficiently recent Nvidia card can now enjoy hardware
accelerated encoding, giving you very low latency + high framerate.
The not so good news: I have found a serious bug in xpra with NVENC, and
so you should really avoid using this module with Xpra 0.14 unless you
*never* resize any of your windows... It is also quite difficult to
deploy in 0.14 as you need to full CUDA SDK at runtime.
I strongly recommend using the upcoming 0.15 release instead which has
much improved NVENC support, including SDKv4 support.