[winswitch] new kde system tray

Randy thejunk.b at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 12:26:31 BST 2015

On Thursday, August 27, 2015 01:06:28 PM Antoine Martin wrote:
> On 26/08/15 22:17, Randy wrote:
> > I reciently had kde 4.15.04.3-1 pushed to my machines in Debian Testing
> > (Stretch) among other issues, like the lib's not being pushed at the same
> > time, winswitch does not dock in the system tray.  In fact after launching
> > it, and it does connect to the other instances ok, it never shows up
> > anywhere. "Bummer"  So it is quite useless.
>
> For situations like this one (gnome shell and others), you can try the
> windowed menu alternative:
> winswitch_applet --window-notray
> It's not very pretty, but it works.

Thanks, that makes it useable again.  The hplip toolbox also does not doc to
the tray as it should on my laptop which has been keep on testing since
Wheezy.    I have a netbook that also runs testing since Jessie and it is
having this same issue since the push.  I also have a "new to me" desktop with
a fresh install of testing (stretch) which is affected.  It has never had less
that 4.15 on it.

> I am afraid I don't have KDE 4.15 installed anywhere, so don't hold your
> breath for a fix.
>
> >  On a side note, I keep my taskbar docked on the left side of the screen
> >
> > because my laptop has more relestate in width than height.  Historaclly
> > when I would click on the winswitch icon on the left the dropdown menu
> > would appear on the very right side of the screen.  Somewhat anoying.
> > Could that be fixed when you get the system tray fixed again?
>
> The code for the system tray used on Linux is found here:
> http://winswitch.org/trac/browser/trunk/winswitch/ui/statusicon_tray.py
> And the BaseTray superclass function is in here:
> http://winswitch.org/trac/browser/trunk/winswitch/ui/tray_util.py#L185
> We use the regular gtk.status_icon_position_menu function - aren't other
> applications affected by this problem?

I don't recall any other application that this happens to, but it may and I am
just not aware of it.  Not that it should matter but, if I recall correctly I
first docked my taskbar on the left but didn't like is so moved it to the
right, clear back on wheezy.

With the work around above the issue went away because the popup stays where
the app window is.

I have a second older laptop that also runs testing although kde does not work
on it, so it is running lxde, don't know version but it is patched regularly
so whatever is in testing is what it will have.  Although the system tray
applet works as it should, when it is clicked on the popup shows up on the
upper right of the screen when the taskbar is docked on the left side of the
screen.  I also have noted that if I left click the mouse button has to be
held down for the popup to stay on the screen, but if I right click it stays
in place.

I am more than happy to try to debug.  My best programming is grade school
level bash, so I may not be much of any help with finding the issue by reading
the code but I will look through it when I get a chance.

--
If it ain't broke tweek it