[winswitch] openSuSE 13.2 - more observations

basd basd1 at fastbk.com
Sun May 24 00:01:21 BST 2015

1.  I was successful creating an xpra-0.14.24 rpm on a different computer with a different .spec
file.  No idea what the difference is.
2.  Before I updated xpra, connecting winswitch-0.12.21 to winswitch-0.12.20 reported that xpra was
not available.
2a.  This was not a bad thing, because I discovered that if there is no xpra, then it's possible to
choose vnc for an application connection. Since my openSuSE 13.2 computers will not serve vnc
desktop sessions, this is useful (and it would be nice if the vnc and ssh options were available
even when xpra is available).
2b.  I noticed that the "application session" would invoke the application in an openbox window (or
icewm, depending on what is available on the server, I guess).
2c.  With the foregoing information, I found that I could open a full vnc desktop session from the
application "custom command" option, as follows:

The following work:

ICEWM -- "icewm --replace"
LXDE -- "lxsession"
XFCE -- "xfwm4 --replace & xfce4-session"
KDE4 -- "plasma-desktop & kwin --replace" (but logout doesn't work so you have to use
winswitch_applet to kill the session)

I could not figure out how to start enlightenment.  That is all the window managers/desktops I have
installed.

2d.  I know worrying about how to get VNC sessions running is sort of the opposite of getting xpra
to work well, since its focus is on getting individual remote applications to integrate with the
local desktop.  But, since the normal winswitch desktop mode does not work for me, this is very
useful information.