[winswitch] Connection lost when connecting to xpra server

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Tue Aug 30 09:00:07 BST 2016

On 29/08/16 08:52, dan l wrote:
>> That's trying to connect to a local xpra server on your Windows PC.
>
>> What I meant was something like this:
>> Xpra_cmd attach ssh/username:password at host:22/
>

> Ah, thank you. I like that syntax better. What I was doing before was running Xpra_cmd.exe and then filling in the fields in the GUI (which I think should be equivalent).
>

>> And again, keep an eye on your sshd server log.> If the connection is still refused, you may be hitting some
>
>> compatibility issues between plink and your sshd server.
>
> Spent some time verifying that it wasn't ssh/sshd.
>
> I think I found the issue after a lot of experimentation.
>

> So, recall that on the server side, I do a local install:
>
>    python2.7 ./setup.py install --home=./install
>

> If I just run xpra from here, I will get the problems I've been mentioning in this thread.
>
> However, I found that I can resolve all of the issues if on the server, I do:
>
>    cat install/etc/xpra/conf.d/*.conf > ~/.xpra/xpra.conf
>
> and then start the server. Then everything works. I've tested this in a fresh jail to make sure it wasn't anything else. So basically I need to have an xpra.conf in my home for things to work.
>

> Is it possible that when I run without making a ~/.xpra/xpra.conf file that the server code is *not* reading install/etc/xpra/conf.d/* ? That is what seems like is happening. If the fix isn't obvious let me know and I'll open a bug with more info.

I have made some tweaks to the search path for configs and the version
currently in trunk works for me.
You haven't included the commands you used for the build or for starting
the server so it is difficult to be sure we're doing the same thing.
Here's what I did:

rm -fr ~/.xpra
cd Xpra/trunk/src
python2.7 ./setup.py install --home=./install
PYTHONPATH=./install/lib64/python \
PATH=./install/bin/:$PATH \
   ./install/bin/xpra start --start=xterm

>From another user (or host):
xpra attach ssh/username:password at host/