[winswitch] Broken libvpx-xpra dependencies on CentOS 6.7

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Tue Feb 16 18:21:42 GMT 2016

First, sorry about the delay.

On 14/02/16 08:51, Michal Welnicki wrote:
>> This should be fixed now. Thanks for the report!
>
> Unfortunately it still doesn't work:
Oops: I had fired the email without actually testing the installation in
a VM. (just being lazy)

> Error: Package: xpra-0.16.2-2.el6_7.i686 (winswitch)
>            Requires: libvpx.so.2
>            Removing: libvpx-xpra-1.4.0-1.el6.i686 (@winswitch)
>                libvpx.so.2
>            Updated By: libvpx-xpra-1.5.0-1.el6.i686 (winswitch)
>                Not found
>
> "yum clean metadata" does not help.
>
> The new xpra version is still built for libvpx.so.2 (libvpx 1.4.0):
>
> $ rpm -qp --requires
> http://xpra.org/dists/CentOS/6.7/i386/xpra-0.16.2-2.el6_7.i686.rpm |
> grep vpx
> libvpx-xpra
> libvpx.so.2
>
> And libvpx-xpra-1.5.0-1.el6.i686.rpm only provides libvpx.so.3:
>
> $ rpm -qp --provides
> http://xpra.org/dists/CentOS/6.7/i386/libvpx-xpra-1.5.0-1.el6.i686.rpm
> libvpx.so.3
> libvpx-xpra = 1.5.0-1.el6
> libvpx-xpra(x86-32) = 1.5.0-1.el6
>
> Perhaps the 32-bit build host doesn't have libvpx-devel updated to 1.5.0?
It did have it, at least the RPM db thought it did - which confused me
for a while, but it was actually linking against the system libvpx.so
Not sure what happened there, but a clean rebuild seems to have resolved
that, I think.

The yum error message is a little bit confusing. This is not the first
time I have wished that yum/dnf/rpm would be more clever about managing
dependencies so one could more easily link against different versions
all living in the same repository. Maybe I missing a trick there?