[winswitch] Keyboard key repetition

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Mon Feb 6 06:03:41 GMT 2017

On 06/02/17 07:50, Timothy Hobbs via shifter-users wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a weird problem using subuser with the xpra-x11 bridge
> http://subuser.org/news/0.3.html#the-xpra-x11-bridge. Sometimes, not
> always, but sometimes, I end up with a situation in firefox, that when I
> press a key, the key stays down and starts repeating. So if I am
> backspacing, it will delete the entire line, or I'll get
> nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. When this happens, firefox freezes before the
> repeated keypresses appear.
That sounds like the whole process is stuck, it may have little to do
with the keyboard which may just be a symptom.
Can you try running with the clipboard disabled?
Some clipboard issues have been reported, clipboard bugs may be able to
cause such problems.

> Is it possible, in the xpra api, that you
> are sending first a key-down and then a key-up, and some sort of delay
> in the protocol causes the x11 server on the container side of the
> bridge to think that the key was held down and that repetition should
> occure?
By default, we send key-up and key-down events as they occur.
But this can be changed with the "keyboard-sync" switch, see:
https://xpra.org/trac/wiki/Keyboard

> Where would I look in the code to try to fix this bug?
The most important thing is to find the cause first, only then can you
start looking at the code.
If this is a regression, when did start? Is it platform specific?
Do all the processes stall, or just firefox? Or X11?
Have you tried enabling debug logging?
etc.