[winswitch] Font troubles with Mac client

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Thu Feb 9 04:53:15 GMT 2017

On 09/02/17 00:48, Douglas Doole wrote:
> As always, thanks for your help Antoine.
> I should have looked for DPI problems, but I dismissed it as an issue
> since icons looked fine while the fonts were screwy.
That's exactly what DPI problems look like: icons tend to be fixed size
(or at least a fixed bitmap - unless something like SVG is used),
whereas fonts are almost always scaled.

> On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 8:22 PM Antoine Martin via shifter-users
> <shifter-users at lists.devloop.org.uk
> <mailto:shifter-users at lists.devloop.org.uk>> wrote:
>     This tells us that the DPI settings are being applied from the mac and
>     the applications you launch only read these settings when they start.
>     (that's unfortunate, but most applications behave this way)
>     The server log file should have logged it, please include it.
> Looking in the server log after connecting from the MacBook I find:
> 2017-02-08 09:32:54,078 setting keyboard layout to 'us'
> 2017-02-08 09:32:54,127 DPI set to 17 x 21 (wanted 72 x 72)
> 2017-02-08 09:32:54,127  you may experience scaling problems, such as
> huge or small fonts, etc
> 2017-02-08 09:32:54,127  to fix this issue, try the dpi switch, or use a
> patched Xorg dummy driver
Always look in the server log first!
You should use a patched dummy driver. Hard-coding the DPI manually may
work, but not in all cases.
We have patched dummy drivers in the repository for most distributions
now, including Debian and Ubuntu.

>     Is the Mac display a high DPI display? What resolution? (actual
>     specifications not Apple's marketing terms) What does the client see it
>     as? (client and server command line output will log it)
> 2017-02-08 09:32:54,065  client root window size is 1440x900 with 1 display
> 2017-02-08 09:32:54,065   ddoole-ltm1.internal.salesforce.com
> <http://ddoole-ltm1.internal.salesforce.com> (508x317 mm - DPI: 72x72)
> workarea: 1440x873 at 0x31
> 2017-02-08 09:32:54,065     monitor 1
> 2017-02-08 09:32:54,068 server virtual display now set to 1440x900
>     The output from the "Xpra.app/Contents/Helpers/NativeGUI_info" would be
>     useful too.
> That give a fair bit of output. If you think a ticket is in order, I'll
> attach it there.
No need, we know what the problem is now.
>     You can try changing the DPI manually, ie: add {{{--dpi=96}}} to the
>     client command line.
>     If that works, you can stick this setting in "~/.xpra/xpra.conf".
> Forcing DPI to 96 did the trick.
Your client output says that the client DPI is 72, you may want to use
that value instead.

The "hardware" DPI can only be set using the patched dummy driver, the
DPI xsettings configuration value should have been set to 72 already, so
it is a little bit unexpected that using the "--dpi" switch solved
things. Maybe there is still another bug in xpra.


More information about the shifter-users mailing list