[winswitch] Xpra - Docker - Assistance request

Timothy Hobbs timothy at hobbs.cz
Sun Jan 8 10:15:54 GMT 2017

Hello,

I'm the author of a project called subuser.org which helps users install
and use GUI applications in Docker. We use XPRA, but we don't do CRIU
and don't plan on it either.

In my experience, there using XPRA with containers isn't bad practice,
I'm not sure where you heard that from. It works quite well actually.

In order to securely provide access to the X11 server, I have subuser
set up to use a 3 container per application approach which is described
here http://subuser.org/news/0.3.html#the-xpra-x11-bridge .

I presume you currently have it set up so that the XPRA server runs in
the same container as the GUI application? Is your trouble then that the
UNIX sockets INSIDE the container don't work? Aka the applications
connection to the xpra server via the /tmp/.X11-unix socket?

Or is the trouble with the socket that connects the xpra server to the
xpra client? If you're running into the former case then I think you
have no hope of using CRIU for anything usefull untill such a severe bug
is fixed :(. If it is the later, then I think we might be able to find
some workarounds, such as detaching the xpra client before freezing and
then reattaching it afterwards.