[winswitch] server requested 'xor' digest, cowardly...

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Sat Aug 4 14:29:46 BST 2018

On 31/07/18 14:08, Pierre Wulles via shifter-users wrote:
> Hello,
> I've recently succeeded in having a server running xterm, a proxy and a
> machine connecting to the proxy. I used for this what is described in
> https://xpra.org/trac/wiki/ProxyServer at the section Remote Hosts. What I
> want to do now is launching the pplication from the client, so what I did
> is:
> {{{
> xpra start :100 --bind-tcp=0.0.0.0:10100
> }}}
You said you wanted to launch from the client, but here you are
launching a session in advance.
Did you mean "connect from the client" instead?

> on the server. Then
> {{{
> xpra proxy :100 --bind-tcp=0.0.0.0:14501
> --tcp-auth=allow,filename=./xpra-auth.sdb --socket-dir=/tmp --daemon=no
> }}}
The "allow" authentication module does not use any arguments.
Certainly not the database file which is meant to be used by the sqlite
auth module.

> On the proxy and there is "foo bar nobody nobody ip" in xpra-auth because I
> didn't know how to indicate where the server is,
Specifying remote hosts is documented for the sqlite backend on the
proxy wiki page:
https://xpra.org/trac/wiki/ProxyServer#RemoteHosts
ie:
sqlite_auth.py ./auth.sdb add foo bar nobody nobody tcp://1.1.1.1:10100/

> the problem that I guess
> here is that if you put --tcp-auth=allow the file xpra-auth is ignored
> because when I go to the client:
> {{{
> xpra start --tcp-auth=allow tcp://vml-xprabetatest/14501 xterm
> }}}
FYI: tcp-auth here would apply to the session you end up starting.
That's usually a bad idea for anything but testing.
And in this case, it is very unlikely to be needed since you will be
connected to the session when you start it anyway.

> I have the following error:
> {{{
> 2018-07-31 13:50:22,161 Error: authentication failed:
> 2018-07-31 13:50:22,161  server requested 'xor' digest, cowardly refusing
> to use it without encryption
> }}}
xpra will refuse to send password unencrypted over the network.

> What can I do ?
Like it says, use encryption.
https://xpra.org/trac/wiki/Encryption