[winswitch] xpra display problem

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Thu Feb 15 12:40:04 GMT 2018

On 13/02/18 19:04, Anthony Stone via shifter-users wrote:
> I'm running xpra 2.2.4 under Ubuntu 16.04 on both client and server.
> When I enter on the client
>
> xpra start ssh/whirligig --start=gnome-terminal
>
> to connect via an ssh tunnel (already set up) to the server on
> whirligig,
Have you tried the same thing without using an existing tunnel?
It shouldn't make any difference, but it is worth a try.

> I get the error
>
> Error: displayfd failed
> did not provide a display number using displayfd
> xpra initialization error:
> failed to identify the new server display!
It could be because Ubuntu 16.04 is the only distribution that is unable
to use Xdummy. For more information see:
https://xpra.org/trac/wiki/Xdummy

I'll try to take a look, feel free to create a ticket for it so I don't
forget, I did see the warning when I tried, but the session started OK
anyway.

> If instead I use
>
> xpra start ssh/whirligig/9 --start=gnome-terminal
>
> I get a session running on display 9, although it seems a bit flaky --
> the display background colour keeps changing.
I don't see any problems here. This could be a problem with your opengl
graphics drivers client side. Try switching opengl off.

> The server system software is newly installed, so maybe some necessary
> package is missing.
That's unlikely.

> I had no trouble with a previous server setup under
> Ubuntu 14.04.
This could be a regression in xpra. Ubuntu 14.04 uses xpra 1.x only.