[winswitch] xpra shadow works, but start-desktop just shows a black screen

Ben Sferrazza Benjamin.Sferrazza at skyworksinc.com
Fri Apr 12 15:33:00 BST 2019

On 12/04/2019 05:47, Ben Sferrazza via shifter-users wrote:
> I'm running Xpra 2.5 from the Xpra repo on Ubuntu 18.10. The client is Xpra 3.0 on Windows 10. Using 'xpra shadow' works well, but I can't get 'xpra start-desktop' to work. It merely shows a black screen.
xpra start-desktop on its own will only start an empty full-window
session, you need to start a window manager or some other application to
interact with, ie for testing:
xpra start-desktop --start=xterm
Then you can start a window manager or something else from the xterm

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned I used --start=gnome-session.

> Similarly, trying to just launch a window such as 'xpra start=gnome-terminal' shows nothing. 'xpra start=xterm' does bring up xterm, but trying to launch something like gnome-terminal from that xterm shows nothing. Verbose logs don't seem to indicate anything is amiss.
>

> Any advice on things I can try?
That's odd. I've just tried it and it worked fine.
Please create a ticket as per:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__xpra.org_trac_wiki_ReportingBugs&d=DwICAg&c=VYRDWu-sKuQrybEAJ2u-dYX_FK6X1lTrDf-PKXUa2P4&r=KUvBUvwZ3xYCa05A5NCXRUdX-yDQhrA_pjQ6in6O-IFVY81yykI4UK_bEOyPBhCw&m=hYC-Mg4CFDCDDFQQo4OChT_tnXsfnzENzlTSDAvpE1U&s=Sc2p7PKYs3hgrfUuQRTwYpEvhq85BkSMngsHoedlHNQ&e=
Make sure to include "xpra info".
And please try connecting from another client (ie: from the Ubuntu
system itself) to figure out if the problem is server side or client side.

OK I'll go ahead and do that. I also forgot to mention that I tried connecting from the Ubuntu localhost and it also just shows a black screen. So it would seem to indicate there's something up with the server.