[winswitch] xpra shadow works, but start-desktop just shows a black screen

Ben Sferrazza Benjamin.Sferrazza at skyworksinc.com
Tue Apr 16 00:57:19 BST 2019

On Mon, 2019-04-15 at 22:21 +0000, Ben Sferrazza wrote:
> FYI: whatever email client you are using, it is messing up the inline
> quoting.
>
> I believe this has something to do with my company filtering emails
> that originate from an external source and processing them with added
> text.

Actually seems to be the fact that I was using the Outlook Web App in
Linux. Now using Evolution.

> > > xpra start-desktop on its own will only start an empty full-
> > > window
> > > session, you need to start a window manager or some other
> > > application to
> > > interact with, ie for testing:
> > > xpra start-desktop --start=xterm
> > > Then you can start a window manager or something else from the
> > > xterm
> > I'm sorry, I should have mentioned I used --start=gnome-session.
> Well, there is your problem.
> Try a different window manager, or as per above just an xterm, and
> you
> will find that things work just fine.
> gnome is known to be problematic and may not work without an
> accelerated
> X11 server.
>
> OK, ideally wouldn't want to change window managers, but am willing
> to give that a try. FYI, I use NIS for login with an NFS mounted
> /home directory. I had setup Xpra (successfully) on our Linux servers
> that run an old version of CentOS. Now I am attempting to get Xpra to
> work on my work PC where I just installed Ubuntu 18.10. There must be
> some stale data/configs that could cause issues, as I'm still using
> the same /home directory as before. I say that, because after trying
> to unsuccessfully get Xpra to work with this Ubuntu install, I went
> back just to see how things were working with the setup I had on the
> CentOS Linux servers and it was no longer working. Do you have any
> suggestions on files/directories to remove to start fresh? ~/.xpra
> being an obvious one I suppose.

removing ~/.xpra, ~/.local/xpra, and ~/.local/run/xpra seemed to do the
trick. At least I can start a gnome-session and have a visible desktop
(no more black screen). However, nothing happens on keyboard input and
mouse input seems limited. I'll keep debugging.