[winswitch] [EXTERNAL] Re: xpra shadow works, but start-desktop just shows a black screen

Ben Sferrazza Benjamin.Sferrazza at skyworksinc.com
Wed Apr 17 23:23:08 BST 2019

On Mon, 2019-04-15 at 23:57 +0000, Ben Sferrazza via shifter-users
wrote:
> > > I'm sorry, I should have mentioned I used --start=gnome-session.
> > Well, there is your problem.
> > Try a different window manager, or as per above just an xterm, and
> > you
> > will find that things work just fine.
> > gnome is known to be problematic and may not work without an
> > accelerated
> > X11 server.

Using xfce4 instead of gnome seems to work well. I'm satisfied with
that as a solution. The only issue is that I'd like to run 'xpra start-
desktop' as a service so that I may be able to remotely login into that
session even if my computer were to unexpectedly restart while I'm out
of the office. It would also allow me to use the same work PC that Xpra
is run on and attach to it locally, treating that Xpra desktop as my
main session whether local or remote. I figured this might be a common
use case, but didn't find any info regarding using it as a service,
much as one would do with a headless Linux VNC setup.

I tried following much of the ArchLinux wiki, without success. This is
still being run on Ubuntu 18.10.

Here's an xpra at .service I created under /etc/systemd/system:

[Unit]
Description=Xpra Remote Desktop
After=syslog.target network.target nfs-home.mount

[Service]
Type=simple
User=%i
EnvironmentFile=/etc/conf.d/xpra
ExecStart=/usr/bin/xpra --no-daemon start-desktop --start=startxfce4
${%i}

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

And the /etc/conf.d/xpra:

myusername=:2

I enabled the service by using 'systemctl enable
xpra at myusername.service'