[winswitch] A couple of more small questions...

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Sun Aug 11 19:52:26 BST 2019

On 11/08/2019 21:53, Perry E. Metzger via shifter-users wrote:
> 1) I'm seeing the following at the start of my server log on Ubuntu
> 19.04 ("disco"). Any idea what is causing it? Is there perhaps a
> dependency missing on the package? Does it matter?
>
> 2019-08-11 10:26:17,783 cannot access python uinput module:
> 2019-08-11 10:26:17,783  No module named uinput
I have added this to the FAQ:
https://xpra.org/trac/wiki/FAQ
TLDR: you don't have python-uinput installed, but it is not required and
even if you did have it installed, it normally requires special
permissions to use. For more details, see:
https://xpra.org/trac/ticket/1611

> 2) I'm an old-fashioned person and like to run xterm; to have it work
> well, I need to run xrdb to read in an Xdefaults file before running
> xterm. I've noticed that I can't really reliably do this with multiple
> --start commands because the xrdb might or might not finish before
> xterm starts. Any thoughts on a better method?
Something like this is ugly but should do the job:
xpra --start="sh -c 'xrdb -load Xdefaults;xterm'"
Or you could place it in a wrapper script.
This is not exactly elegant, but there is no start command
synchronization in xpra, so that's the best you can do.

> 3) Since upgrading to 2.5.3 a little while ago, the client prompts me
> for my ssh passphrase every time, ignoring my ssh-agent. Any idea why
> this might be? It was not happening under the old version.
That's because v2.5 switched to paramiko as the default ssh backend:
https://xpra.org/trac/ticket/1646
paramiko is meant to handle ssh agents, it does work fine on Linux, but
maybe there is a bug or missing feature on MacOS. You should be able to
see detailed ssh diagnostics by running the client with:
xpra attach -d ssh ...
Alternatively, you can switch back to the openssh backend with:
xpra attach --ssh="ssh"