[winswitch] Hi List, Quick Xpra question

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Fri Dec 20 13:59:16 GMT 2019

On 19/12/2019 16:19, Celeste Weingartner via shifter-users wrote:
> im writing a frontend for Xpra that will use ssh to connect. I would like
> to make a ultra persistant chrome session be remotely served..
Running browsers through xpra seems to be a popular use case.
Are you using xpra's builtin ssh server or are you allowing those users
shell access on your server? (and restricting what commands they are
allowed to run?)

> Ive got
> firejail working for chrome, and i can manually connect with xpra start
> someuser at apphost.com --start-child='google-chrome' and that works.. and i
> can reattach to it no problem but if i reisssue another start, it starts
> another x session, which i do not want.. I want it limited to one per user.
An easy way to achieve that would be to derive the X11 display for each
user from their user id. That way a user would only ever be able to
start a single session.
FYI: most browsers, including chrome, are limited to a single instance
per user account.

To make things easier to manage, we could add a new subcommand:
"xpra attach-or-start"
Or maybe a new flag:
"xpra attach --create=yes"
Or even:
"xpra start --reuse-session=yes"
Ideas and suggestions welcome.

When connecting over ssh, the xpra client will run "xpra _proxy",
potentially with extra arguments, and this is what connects the xpra
server to the ssh channel.
The remote xpra command can be changed using the "--remote-xpra="
command line option.
This would be a decent place to override the default behaviour and start
a new server instance if one is not found, before trying to connect to it.