[winswitch] SSH wrapper, was: Hi List, Quick Xpra question

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Fri Dec 20 14:15:38 GMT 2019

On 19/12/2019 16:22, Celeste Weingartner via shifter-users wrote:
> excuse me, the line should have been xpra start ssh://someuser@apphost.com
> --start-child='google-chrome' --
> Im not sure how to A) track who's got what session and be able to reattach
> to an already running one..
If a single session already exists, running "xpra version" will return 0.
> or B) limit spawinng of xsessions to 1.
As per previous email, you could derive the X11 display from the userid.
> and finally C) handle a session that dies, hangs, or crashes, by starting a
> new one.
If a session dies, you can just start a new one. This is no different
from not having a session to begin with.
Session hangs are very rare, but if a server exists and is not
responding then you may have to kill it.
If a server has crashed, starting a new one with the same display number
will fail. You can recover that display by running the xpra server with
"--use-display".

Thinking some more about the new subcommands, I think that this would be
much clearer and cover everything:
"xpra upgrade-or-start --use-display=auto"
This would "xpra upgrade" the server if one is found, otherwise start a
new one and recover an existing display if it is found. Here's a ticket:
https://xpra.org/trac/ticket/2523