[winswitch] xpra sound sink

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Thu Sep 19 15:14:05 BST 2019

On 19/09/2019 17:50, Basil Thompson via shifter-users wrote:
> Hi There
>
> xpra audio sink question
>
> Do I have to have the same default plugin set on client and server in order
> for the sync to work ?
I'm not sure what the "default plugin" is.
The audio codec must match, but that's automatic.

> I am struggling to get the audio sync feature enabled in the xpra client.
> Well at least I think that is the problem.
>
> So, so give as much info as possible..
>
> When I run xpra attach on my Windows 10 box.. in the command line - and
> attach to a running server - if I right click on the xpra icon.. then hover
> over audio.. the video sync is greyed out. and there is a "pop up" or tip -
> that says server doesnt support video sync.
>
> Sound is enabled and sound does play.. just there is no sound buffer.
> The sound buffer chart exists .. if I open session info.. but the graph
> shows no info.
>
> If I run the server with -d av-sync I see a line that says something like
> Server = True , Client = False
>
> So from that it appears that the server actually does support av-sync. The
> server is a Centos 7 box.
>
> if I run the gstreamer utils on the centos box ( server ) .. it shows
> alsasink, pulsesink, and autoaudiosink - default is pulsesink
>
> on the windows box if I run the gstreamer utils I see
> directsoundsink, autoaudiosink  - default is directsoundsink
>

> So, do I have to have the same default plugin set on client and server in
> order for the sync to work ?
>
> Audio works... its just delayed .. and gets more delayed the longer I play
> something with audio.
>
> I am running the latest version of xpra as of todays date // on both the
> server and the client.
You must be affected by this bug:
http://xpra.org/trac/changeset/23662/xpra

You can just download any recent beta builds and it will have that fix
included.

As for av-sync in general, your mileage may vary: there are so many
variables at play that it is simply impossible to make it work reliably
in all cases.