[winswitch] Start-desktop black screen and Shadow crashes on Ubuntu 18.04

Jake Black jblack at xes-inc.com
Tue Apr 7 16:58:44 BST 2020

Greetings,

I am trying to get xpra to show a full desktop on Ubuntu 18.04.3 (both client and server). I can successfully launch applications and they are stable. However, when I try to use "start-desktop", xpra launches, but just shows a black screen and I cannot interact with it. However, I can launch a desktop with lxsession. But I would really like to have a gnome session. When I close the window, the following error is printed:

/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/xpra/client/gtk_base/gtk_client_base.py:150: Warning: g_object_ref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
gtk_main()

>From what I have found this is a pretty generic error and doesn't point to one thing.

When I try to connect to an existing xsession with "shadow", the remote screens open, but when I interact with it by clicking in the window, they just close, "connection lost" is printed, the physical xsession crashes, and the following error is printed in /run/user/[uid]/xpra/:1.log:

Gdk-Message: 10:12:32.098: Xpra: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :1.

I have found the following mailing list message that sounds familiar

[ http://lists.devloop.org.uk/pipermail/shifter-users/2018-October/002231.html | http://lists.devloop.org.uk/pipermail/shifter-users/2018-October/002231.html ]

And points to the following ticket:

[ https://xpra.org/trac/ticket/1981#comment:5 | https://xpra.org/trac/ticket/1981#comment:5 ]

And here the issue is reported as a bug in Ubuntu packaging and that the issue was resolved by removing the "gtk3-nocsd" and "libgtk3-nocsd0" packages. I have confirmed that these packages do not exist on either my server or my client.

Additionally I have tried disabling opengl and using native opengl and the result does not change.

Thanks,

Jake