[winswitch] (no subject)

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Thu Feb 6 12:52:31 GMT 2020

On 06/02/2020 19:19, Konstantin Pelepelin via shifter-users wrote:
> Hello!
>
> A new user is here with newbie questions.
>
> I use Windows 10 Xpra GTK3 client version 3.0.5-r24942 64-bit, unpacked
> from zip.
>
> If I use Xpra-Launcher.exe, I get a fancy tray icon with all the menus, but
> I can't issue "start" command if xpra server is not running yet. That's a
> pity.
Before connecting, the launcher has no way of knowing what applications
are available on the server. So it's not really obvious how to make this
more user friendly. Suggestions are most welcome.

> If I use Xpra.exe or Xpra_cmd.exe, I can start the remote server, but I
> don't get the tray icon. There may be something in these lines:
>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "E:\Xpra\tags\v3.0.x\src/xpra/client/mixins/tray.py", line 49, in
>> setup_xpra_tray
>>   File "E:\Xpra\tags\v3.0.x\src/xpra/client/mixins/tray.py", line 111, in
>> create_xpra_tray
>>   File "E:\Xpra\tags\v3.0.x\src/xpra/client/mixins/tray.py", line 138, in
>> get_tray_title
>> TypeError: sequence item 0: expected str instance, tuple found
This happens with some specific connection strings only, this is already
fixed and will be in the next stable update:
http://xpra.org/trac/changeset/24944

> So, if I use "xpra start", I can't detach and exit it other than killing
> the process.
You can, but it's not well known.
There are key shortcuts for accessing various functionality.
See "key-shortcut" in "./Xpra_cmd showconfig"
On MS Windows, pressing Alt+Shift+F1 over any xpra window will bring up
xpra's menu.

> Additionally, if I run "xpra start" when the server is already running,
> instead of attaching to the already running server it hangs for some time,
> and then bails out with
>
>> 2020-02-06 14:57:21,858 Error: failed to receive anything, not an xpra
>> server?
>> 2020-02-06 14:57:21,859   could also be the wrong protocol, username,
>> password or port
>> 2020-02-06 14:57:21,860   or the session was not found
>> 2020-02-06 14:57:21,861 Connection lost
>

> I understand the last one can be intentional, but if I don't remember if
> the server was already started, what would be a solution to quickly start
> and attach to the server? I'd use something like `xpra start
> ssh:user at ubuntu:100
> --start-child=pcmanfm` but with the 2 problems above it takes many manual
> actions: `xpra start ssh:user at ubuntu:100`, wait for start and ctrl-c to
> detach or wait for apparent failure because it's already started, then open
> launcher and attach from it.
>
> Do I miss something?
No, this is being worked on, in part here:
http://xpra.org/trac/ticket/2523

> xpra server is 3.0.5-r24939 on Ubuntu 18.04
>
> Thanks for your fantastic project!
Thanks!

Antoine