[winswitch] Xpra has side effects on Cinnamon

develop_at_Sophtwearteam develop at sophtwearteam.de
Sat Jul 4 18:18:36 BST 2020

Hello Antoine,

Thank you for the quick response.

Am 04.07.20 um 19:00 schrieb Antoine Martin via shifter-users:
> On 04/07/2020 23:18, develop_at_Sophtwearteam via shifter-users wrote:
>> Hello Everyone,

[...]
> xpra does not interfere with the normal X11 desktop that I assume you
> are running since you are using cinnamon.
>
> None of its components are loaded into your current X11 server by
> default: the xpra server runs using its own dedicated display which is
> completely dissociated from the rest, and when you run the xpra client
> it will use the X11 display just like any other client application would.
>
> One possibility here is that your OpenGL drivers are so buggy that they
> somehow corrupt the display. This would be a first, but it is not
> impossible, especially with the Intel driver:
> https://xpra.org/trac/wiki/ClientRendering/OpenGL#IntelDriverIssues
> You can try running with OpenGL disabled: --opengl=no

[...]
> What does this mean? The xpra client stopped working?

Yes, I cannot tell in detail because not having seeing it, although we
had a Jitsi-meet-session with desktop sharing, but unfortunately the
screen from the other guy wasn't shown in that situation.

[...]
> This sounds like Xorg packages were removed when they should not be.
> Removing xpra should never remove any system packages, and I don't see
> how it would end up doing that.
> Perhaps this is related to the HWE Xorg packaging mess that Ubuntu
> created, more details here:
> https://www.xpra.org/trac/ticket/2190
>
> Note: the xpra.org packages are for Ubuntu, Mint is not explicitly
> supported - though it should work.

[..]
> opensuse is not supported by xpra.org

Nevertheless it seems to be in the repos.

>> All installations came from the repositories of their distributions. No
>> foreign repos where used.
> It's not 100% clear to me if you are using packages from xpra.org or
> from your distribution.

>From the distro repos only.

> FYI: downstream packages are known to cause all sorts of problems,
> including some similar to the ones your describe:
> https://www.xpra.org/trac/wiki/Packaging/DistributionPackages
>
>> This led us to the conclusion not to install and run Xpra anymore.
> That's unfortunate. If you haven't done so already, you may want to try
> the packages from xpra.org, as no such extreme problems have ever been
> reported with those.

[...]

We'll see. I for myself had no intention using Xpra at all. I do not
know and cannot follow up how Xpra came to my system. It was kind of a
surprise to me having a new program in my internet-group-folder.

> Thanks for the heads up!
> FYI: the Ubuntu packages are the worst, by far:
> https://www.xpra.org/trac/wiki/Packaging/DistributionPackages/Ubuntu
>
> If the Fedora packages had any problems anywhere near as bad as what you
> describe, this would be fixed in very short order as I use Fedora daily.
>
> Cheers,
> Antoine
[...]

Regards