[winswitch] Fwd: Xpra has side effects on Cinnamon

develop_at_Sophtwearteam develop at sophtwearteam.de
Sun Jul 5 10:19:42 BST 2020

Update

Betreff: Re: [winswitch] Xpra has side effects on Cinnamon
Datum: Sun, 5 Jul 2020 11:07:43 +0200
Von: develop_at_Sophtwearteam <develop at sophtwearteam.de>
An: antoine at nagafix.co.uk

Hello Antoine,

It's me again. I did some further examination, to get a clue what had
happened and why. Here are my results.

Am 04.07.20 um 19:18 schrieb develop_at_Sophtwearteam via shifter-users:
> Hello Antoine,

[...]
> We'll see. I for myself had no intention using Xpra at all. I do not
> know and cannot follow up how Xpra came to my system. It was kind of a
> surprise to me having a new program in my internet-group-folder.

Here is the source of the evil: (from dnf history)

Transaktions-ID : 17
Anfangszeit : Mo 22 Jun 2020 17:14:52 CEST
Anfang rpmdb    : 2185:67078f29d4d6e4083d1bd1bb9612d378876fcdb6
Endzeit : Mo 22 Jun 2020 17:15:05 CEST (13 Sekunden)
Ende rpmdb      : 2197:6369cf712dd600ce5845ec0826814c9106662138 **
Benutzer : Uwe Stippekohl <stippi>
Rückgabe-Code    : Erfolg
Releasever: 32
Befehlszeile   : install xpra-codecs-freeworld PackageKit-gstreamer-plugin
Kommentar        :
Veränderte Pakete:
    Installieren opencv-4.2.0-7.fc32.x86_64                   @updates
    Installieren python3-opencv-4.2.0-7.fc32.x86_64           @updates
    Installieren xpra-4.0.2-1.fc32.x86_64                     @updates
    Installieren python3-ldap3-2.6.1-3.fc32.noarch            @fedora
    Installieren python3-lz4-3.0.2-2.fc32.x86_64              @fedora
    Installieren python3-netifaces-0.10.6-10.fc32.x86_64      @fedora
    Installieren python3-pyasn1-0.4.8-1.fc32.noarch           @fedora
    Installieren python3-pyopengl-3.1.5-2.fc32.x86_64         @fedora
    Installieren python3-rencode-1.0.6-9.fc32.x86_64          @fedora
    Installieren xorg-x11-drv-dummy-0.3.7-11.fc32.x86_64      @fedora
    Installieren xpra-codecs-freeworld-4.0.2-1.fc32.x86_64
@rpmfusion-free-updates
    Installieren gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-1.16.2-3.fc32.x86_64
@rpmfusion-free

Sorry, it's in German as I'm from Germany and use $LANG de_DE.UTF-8, but
I think you get the main information.

I haven't been aware what I installed that day. Of course
xpra-codecs-freeworld imply the existence of Xpra itself I assume. Maybe
it was in connection with another program I tried to fix that day.
Installing the codecs might be the problem. I don't know where I got the
information from that led me to the installation of the
xpra-codecs-freeworld. Certainly from a website I was browsing that day
and transferring the information from there without thinking.

>> Thanks for the heads up!
>> FYI: the Ubuntu packages are the worst, by far:
>> https://www.xpra.org/trac/wiki/Packaging/DistributionPackages/Ubuntu
>>
>> If the Fedora packages had any problems anywhere near as bad as what you
>> describe, this would be fixed in very short order as I use Fedora daily.

Further reading in ask.fedora.org led me to the realization that I am
not the only one who apparently has graphic problems with the Cinnamon
Spin of Fedora. Maybe other downstream packages are responsible for the
issue.

For my understanding there might be a chance of having some packages
updated soon, regarding cinnamon, opengl or other relevant packages in
context of graphical issues.

This of course only concerns Fedora. The Ubuntu-mess is not mine here.

Nevertheless I'm grateful for your kind support. And I just wanted to
say, that I don't blame you for the mess that happened here. I
appreciate your work and hope you continue to be successful with what
you do.

Faithfully
stippi