[winswitch] Headless raspi & macOS

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Sun Mar 15 16:00:52 GMT 2020

On 15/03/2020 21:01, Markus Mohr via shifter-users wrote:

>> On a pi, it is likely to be because the server is taking too long to
>> start up and / or running out of RAM.
>> (this will vary depending on what model you have)
>
> Its a Pi3 with 1Gb of memory. About two thirds are free.
This should be enough, but my pi3 with just 512MB of RAM is struggling.

>> You don't need to have the service running.
>> It is optional and on a pi it will just consume extra RAM, which is
>> already scarce.
> Ok, stopped it.
>
>> apt-get install xvfb
>> Then edit /etc/xpra/conf.d/55_server_x11.conf, comment out the last line
>> which has xvfb=/usr/lib/xorg/Xorg and uncomment the line which has
>> xvfb=Xvfb...
> Did that and uncommented this line:
>
> # - Old Xvfb option (required on Ubuntu where Xorg is broken):
> xvfb = Xvfb -nolisten tcp -noreset \
>         +extension GLX +extension Composite \
>         -auth $XAUTHORITY \
>         -screen 0 5760x2560x24+32
>
> And commented in this:
>
> #xvfb = /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg -noreset -novtswitch -nolisten tcp +extension GLX +extension RANDR +extension RENDER -auth $XAUTHORITY -logfile ${XPRA_LOG_DIR}/Xorg.${DISPLAY}.log -configdir ${XDG_RUNTIME_DIR}/xpra/xorg.conf.d/$PID -config /etc/xpra/xorg.conf
>

>> Another problem is that the client times out because the pi still takes
>> so long to spin up a server. So you may want to start your session via
>> ssh before connecting. ssh to the pi and then:
>> xpra start --start=xterm
>> (and keep an eye on the xpra server log for failures)
>
> That was the problem. Now it works - many thanks!
I have now changed the default to use Xvfb on arm:
http://xpra.org/trac/changeset/25652/xpra

> Is there a way to extend the timeout? Because on the first try it didn’t work and it looked like it needed just a few extra seconds.
I'm not entirely sure which timeout is firing, you can try:
XPRA_CONNECT_TIMEOUT=60 xpra start ssh://pi/10
As long as you specify the display on the URI (the "/10" part)

Because otherwise you will be hitting the displayfd timeout:
XPRA_DISPLAY_FD_TIMEOUT=60 xpra start
But this one is server side, so you can't easily override it when you
launch directly from the client via ssh. (or you could patch the source)