[winswitch] xpra macOS support

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Tue Nov 24 17:10:58 GMT 2020

On 23/11/2020 23:44, Tom Carpenter via shifter-users wrote:
> I'm new to xpra and have been unsuccessful using it to access a macOS
> Catalina
> system. What I've tried so far is, while logged on to a Catalina system,
> start up
> xpra using "xpra shadow"
Normally, I would also also need to ask:
* does the command output show anything useful?
* does it show a connection attempt?
But.. see below.

> and then using another system (also happens to
> be a macOS Catalina system) launch xpra and attempt to connect to the first by
> specifying the IP.
I assume that you're using the dialog GUI in "ssh" mode?

> So, my question is how well supported is macOS
> currently;
> I'm thinking my inexperience with xpra is the more likely issue so I'm
> really just trying to determine if the problem is me or if there's still work to do
> for macOS, with some versions of macOS being better supported than others.
Xpra "shadow" mode used to work quite well on MacOS.
It used to be possible to run this simple command from any remote host:
xpra shadow ssh://USER@MACOSHOST/
And have the MacOS desktop just show up in a window, but Apple has
changed something yet again and so this no longer works.

Note: to connect using "ssh" mode, you need to install the "PKG" images
so that the "xpra" command will be found by the ssh connection.

To make matters worse, it looks like some of the API calls we had been
using until now no longer do anything (tested on a 10.14.x system) so
the remote mouse clicks and keyboard events aren't emulated properly..

Let me take a look at this as soon as I can and I'll get back to you.