[winswitch] XKB layout

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Tue Apr 6 12:57:51 BST 2021

On 06/04/2021 18:31, Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira via shifter-users wrote:
> How do I use XKB layouts other than US?
I assume you are referring to the "X11 keyboard" rather than the "xkb"
API specifically here.

> I'm failing to set this one up. Do
> I need to set this property on server or client?
Theoretically, you just connect and the server will configure its
virtual keyboard to match the one you have on the client.
How this is achieved depends on the OS and the server subcommand used.

The keyboard layout detected by the client is printed out when you run
from the command line, and it is also found in the server log.
It should also be possible to change the layout at runtime from xpra's
system tray.

> Do I need to enable an
> input method (server-side or client-side?)?
Input-methods are usually transparent to xpra.
Xpra will receive keyboard events from the operating system and just
forward them.

> What env vars (should the
> default XKB_ vars do?)?
I don't understand this bit.

> Do I need to have some package on server-side to
> recognize layouts other than US (which one?)?
No.

> I'm really missing a starting point here.
Or, it's possible that you've hit a bug.
Please always specify your OS and xpra version at both ends, desktop
environment, etc.. as well as the command lines used.
The "-d keyboard" debugging switch is probably too verbose, but may help
diagnose things.