[winswitch] Where is the mmap file created?

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Wed Apr 7 14:32:24 BST 2021

On 07/04/2021 20:04, Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira wrote:
> Em qua., 7 de abr. de 2021 às 04:30, Antoine Martin via shifter-users
> <shifter-users at lists.devloop.org.uk> escreveu:
>> $ xpra -h | grep mmap=
>>     --mmap=yes|no|mmap-filename
>
> I saw the manpage.
>
>> So you can use:
>> xpra start --mmap=/the/server/path
>> xpra attach --mmap=/the/client/path
>
> And I tried that. The path should be a directory path right?
No, it should be the exact filename you want to use.

>> And make sure that both paths resolve to the shared area where mmap
>> files can be created.
>
> I'll assume it didn't work due to this error (file creation error).
Please always include the full command lines used and exact error
messages shown.

You can extra verbose debug logging by adding "-d mmap" to your command
line.

>> This may well require changes to the IPC settings in your container tool
>> to allow mmapped files. YMMV.
>
> How does xpra create mmap files? I'm skimming over
> xpra/net/mmap_pipe.py, but I'm failing to detect any special operation
> that isn't allowed in the container.
There is nothing special. The magic happens in:
https://docs.python.org/3/library/mmap.html#mmap.mmap