[winswitch] Xpra - Test system works, production dies??? No server - but program runs???

xpra at zellners.com xpra at zellners.com
Sun Jul 4 19:59:30 BST 2021

I am doing some setup for a program (java based, will provide more
needed, but read on for now, please). I did a rebuild on a system,
tested out Xpra (YES ***XPRA REPOS***, per site, Kubuntu 20.0.2 ESR $
xpra --version
xpra v4.2-r0).

Test system ran, and I was all pleased I could put this into production.

Update the production system, and install XPRA (yes same version, same
repo), no joy on that program, or even xclock!

Xpra was installed in both cases step by step by the example at the
very bottom of:
https://github.com/Xpra-org/xpra/wiki/Download#-linux

DISTRO=focal
#install https support for apt (which may be installed already):
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install apt-transport-https
# add Xpra GPG key
wget -q https://xpra.org/gpg.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
# add Xpra repository
sudo add-apt-repository "deb https://xpra.org/ $DISTRO main"
# install Xpra package
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xpra

Running xpra attach :100, client starts, and then I get output in the
/var/....:100.log file out waiting 20 seconds, no server found,
unknown server state etc..

Hardware is different between systems, no fancy video cards in either,
both actually have some generic AMD sludge. These are not super
current systems, the working system is probably 5-6+ years old, but
maxed out in RAM, 6 core CPU etc.. XPRA and this works, so I was ready
to get to work with it...  The other, production, is a SoC type board
(NOT A PI! AMD A10 based 4 core).

The only think I can find that is different software wise is KERNELS

Working:
Linux xxxp6633w 5.8.0-55-generic #62~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jun 2
08:55:04 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

NON working
Linux xxxxSDRBox 5.4.0-77-generic #86-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 17 02:35:03
UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Everything else between the two is the same for the OS. Both have had
updates to be as current as the Canocial repos are offering in the OS.

What debug logs do you need to track???

The funny thing is that the PROGRAM will RUN on the "NON 'WORKING' "
system in that it operates as expected, but you can NOT CONNECT TO THE
GUI via the new X server.

Start up command:
xpra start :100 --start=/home/X0/050a6/XXXX/bin/run-program

Program name is obfuscated for reasons, I will provide privately, but
not in public right now.

I will provide more data as requested, and asked for, I am not dumping
useless data to the list to sift through, I'd rather ask first, and
provide the targeted data to resolve this hopefully.

What data, logs, etc. would you like?

Nothing jumps out at me as to what might be the difference other than
the kernels... The program runs, it does its thing, you just can not
connect to the GUI X Server from Xpra to control it.

Thanks for your time and insight.