[winswitch] Xpra - Test system works, production dies??? No server - but program runs???

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Mon Jul 5 16:02:37 BST 2021

(..)
> Hardware is different between systems, no fancy video cards in either,
> both actually have some generic AMD sludge. These are not super current
> systems, the working system is probably 5-6+ years old, but maxed out in
> RAM, 6 core CPU etc.. XPRA and this works, so I was ready to get to work
> with it...  The other, production, is a SoC type board (NOT A PI! AMD
> A10 based 4 core).
>
> The only think I can find that is different software wise is KERNELS
>
> Working:
> Linux xxxp6633w 5.8.0-55-generic #62~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jun 2
> 08:55:04 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> NON working
> Linux xxxxSDRBox 5.4.0-77-generic #86-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 17 02:35:03 UTC
> 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>

> Everything else between the two is the same for the OS. Both have had
> updates to be as current as the Canocial repos are offering in the OS.
At this point, my guess is that something hardware related is hanging
and we've just had a few reports of problems with the ffmpeg vaapi
hardware accelerated encoder:
https://github.com/Xpra-org/xpra/issues/3174

If that's the cause of your problem, you can run with:
xpra start --env=XPRA_VAAPI=0 ....

Or even skipping any codec with hardware access:
xpra start --video-encoders=all,-ffmpeg,-nvenc

Video encoders are the only components that access the hardware somewhat
more directly than through generic OS APIs.

> What debug logs do you need to track???
As always, the server log.

Since I suspect that the codecs are the problem, the output of:
xpra encoding

> The funny thing is that the PROGRAM will RUN on the "NON 'WORKING' "
> system in that it operates as expected, but you can NOT CONNECT TO THE
> GUI via the new X server.
That's because the X11 virtual framebuffer is running, and your program
is happily running on it, but the xpra server has crashes or is
unresponsive.