[winswitch] App Intermittant startup

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Sun Jul 18 15:47:41 BST 2021

On 18/07/2021 19:13, Steve Gatenby via shifter-users wrote:
> I have a simple gui app. 1 button, 1 memo and timer.
>
> On running, it should update the memo entry each second with a status
> count.
>
> Works perfectly on standard systems (linux x64 gtk2), but fails
> regularly under docker with xpra.
>
> I am building the docker instance using the latest xpra from the repo
Which distribution? xpra version, etc.

> I then run the following to open a terminal, and connect thru my browser
> (works perfectly)
>
> xpra start --bind-tcp=0.0.0.0:10000 --html=on --start=xterm --daemon=no
> --pulseaudio=no --webcam=no
>
> On running the test app from the terminal, I find it consistently fails
> to show the form for between 10 and 20 seconds. The app is running
> (logging 1 second counts to terminal), just nothing visual shows.
>
> The only xpra logging diff I can see is the 'broadway decoder
> initialized' line doesnt happen when it is waiting.
This log message means that the server is using an h264 video encoder
(presumably for sending your application's screen updates) and that the
browser is initializing its decoder to process this video stream.

If the screen updates don't make it to the screen, you should at least
be seeing the window frame. Or perhaps your application is meant to be
frameless?

In any case, you can disable video encoders from your server command
line. I would recommend "--video-encoders=vpx" rather than
"--video-encoders=none" so that the python client can still use video
when needed.
Or you can disable video mode from the html5 client's connect page.

You have not specified your browser. We're not aware of any browsers
failing on these h264 streams.

> I am trying to determine if the problem lies with the app, docker, xpra
> or a combination of all.
>
> I have a simple/small docker test I can supply, but dont wish to push
> files at people unless permission given :)
>
> Would really appreciate any insight / clues at all
Try with the python client.
If the app shows as expected then the problem lies with the html5 client.