[winswitch] what happened to Centos 7.6 distributions?

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Tue Jun 29 10:49:22 BST 2021

On 29/06/2021 03:24, Thomas Esposito via shifter-users wrote:
> I use a remote virtual machine at work which runs Centos 7.6. We were
> running on Redhat 6.6 until recently, and the process to upgrade to Centos
> 7.6 took years due to compatibility issues with EDA tools. It will likely
> be many more years before we upgrade again. Further complicating the issue,
> I am not allowed su permission on my VDI and therefore cannot install
> packages. In order to use xpra, I have manually extracted all of the
> necessary rpms and created a wrapper script which sets up the proper
> environment variables in order to get it to run.
>
> Last time I checked, there was a dedicated distribution for Centos 7.6, but
> I no longer see that. Currently, I only see 7, 7.7.x, 7.8.x, and 7.9.x?
> Which distribution should I use for 7.6?
I have freed up some space on the web host.
The upstream support for 7.6 ended May 31, 2021.
RedHat / CentOS versions 7.6 and earlier have been removed, as well as
all the 6.x series except for 6.10

That said, if there is sufficient demand for specific out of date
versions / distributions, this could be revised again.

This comes at a significant cost to me, not so much the disk space or
bandwidth but mostly in terms of time spent doing all the packaging,
testing and support.
Perhaps enough corporate users could get together to sponsor this sort
of effort.