[winswitch] can't connect with windows 7 client

Thomas Esposito tmesposito00 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 14:40:14 BST 2016

On Sat, Oct 1, 2016 at 1:34 AM, Antoine Martin via shifter-users <
shifter-users at lists.devloop.org.uk> wrote:

> On 01/10/16 11:28, Thomas Esposito via shifter-users wrote:
> > I'm running an xpra server on a redhat el6.6 remote redhat el 6.6 virtual
> > machine. I don't have root permissions, so I did the following:
> >
> > 1.) Downloaded the following rpms to my home directory:
> (snip)
> >
> > 2.) For each rpm, I ran:
> > rpm2cpio PACKAGE.rpm > PACKAGE.cpio
> > cpio -idv < PACKAGE.cpio
> >
> > This unpacks the contents of all of the rpms as if my home directory were
> > '/'.
> > e.g. The path to the xpra executable is ${HOME}/usr/bin
> >
> > 3.) Set the following env variables:
> > PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:${HOME}/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages
> > PATH=$PATH:${HOME}/usr/bin
> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:${HOME}/usr/lib64:${HOME}
> /usr/lib64/gstreamer-0.10:/${HOME}/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/
> drivers:${HOME}/usr/lib64/xpra
> Does Xorg honour the module path for loading the dummy driver this way?
> (check for "dummy" warnings in your Xorg log file)

I don't see any concerning "dummy" warnings in the log, although it does
appear to be loading dummy_drv.so from the normal
/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers install directory rather than from my home
directory. The 2 versions of dummy_drv.so have different sizes.

> > At this point, I can start an xpra session:
> >
> > xpra start :100
> >
> > After setting DISPLAY=:100, I can start an xterm within the session.
> FYI: always prefer this form:
> xpra start :100 --start=xterm
> As this will set the environment correctly for the application launched.
> (and also detach it from the terminal you run from)
>
> > It is important to note that up to this point, I'm running everything on
> > the RHEL6 server from within a VNC desktop session.
> >
> > 'xpra list' reports that the session is live.
> >
> > On my local Windows 7 machine, I have downloaded the xpra client. When
> IX
> > attempt to connect via ssh, after entering the correct login password, I
> > immediately get a dialog box with the following error:
> >
> > Server unexpectedly closed network connection.
> >
> > If I run Xpra_cmd.exe from a command line terminal, I get the following
> > output when attempting to connect:
> Please always provide the exact command line that you used (minus any
> passwords and IP addresses, etc), ie:
> Xpra_cmd attach ssh/username:password at host:22/100

For the Windows client, I am literally just running that command (i.e. no
args), and then starting up the session with the GUI.

> > Xpra gtk2 client version 0.17.5-r13487
> >  running on Microsoft Windows 7
> > GStreamer version 1.8 for Python 3.4
> > OpenGL_accelerate module loaded
> >  detected keyboard: layout=us
> >  desktop size is 1920x1080 with 1 screen:
> >    Default (508x285 mm - DPI: 96x96) workarea: 1920x1040
> >         DISPLAY1 (677x381 mm - DPI: 72x72)
> > failed to receive anything, not an xpra server?
> >   could also be the wrong username, password or port
> >   or maybe this server does not support 'unknown' compression or
> 'bencode'
> > packet encoding?
> >
> > I know it's not the wrong username or password, because if either is
> > incorrect, I don't even get that far. The part about 'unknown'
> compression
> > is curious because I have H.264 encoding selected in the client.
> That's the packet compression and encoding, not picture encoding.
> It means that no packets were exchanged with the server.
>
> > Back on my VNC desktop on the server, I can attach with:
> >
> > xpra attach :100
> >
> > and the xpra client starts, connects, and the xterm appears on my VNC
> > desktop.
> >
> > So the session DEFINITELY exists, and I am just having a problem
> connecting
> > to the remote session from my local Windows machine.
> >
> > Here is the contents of the ${HOME}/.xpra/:100.log file after starting up
> > the session:
> (snip)
> > Nothing gets added to this log file when I make the failed connection
> > attempt from my Windows machine.
> >
> > Any ideas what might be the problem?
> The run-xpra script which is executed via ssh may not be able to
> correctly setup the environment and therefore fails to connect to your
> xpra server instance. Try running from your server:
> ~/.xpra/run-xpra list :100
> or:
> ~/.xpra/run-xpra info :100

If I go to a different terminal on the same machine (i.e. where I started
the server) WITHOUT the environment variables set up as I have described
above, I can start a session, run an xterm on it, and attach to the session
successfully as follows:

~/.xpra/run-xpra start :100
xterm -display :100 &
~/xpra/run-xpra attach :100

> Also try to connect via ssh from Linux to rule out any problems with the
> client side.

I CANNOT attach via ssh from another Linux machine. After successfully
entering my ssh password, I get the following error message:
2016-10-01 09:33:37,037 The SSH process has terminated with exit code 255
2016-10-01 09:33:37,037  the command line used was:
2016-10-01 09:33:37,037  ssh -x -T *server_name* xpra
initenv;~/.xpra/run-xpra _proxy :100 || $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR/xpra/run-xpra
_proxy :100 || xpra _proxy :100

At this point, after seeing the 'xpra initenv' command here, I thought that
I was on to something, so I added the PATH, PYTHONPATH, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
setup as described above to my ~/.bashrc. Unfortunately, after doing this,
I still get the same error when attempting to connect from another Linux
machine (and my Windows machine).