[winswitch] Black windows with Xpra, Docker and WIne

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Tue Aug 10 13:26:20 BST 2021

On 05/08/2021 08:12, Craig Setera via shifter-users wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm in the midst of trying to get the Fitbit Simulator which is only
> supported on Windows and MacOS using my Linux (Ubuntu latest) laptop.
> While I started with
> https://github.com/bingtimren/fitbit-simulator-linux-wine-image, I had
> issues with the fact that my laptop is actually a HiDPI machine and the
> resulting application was much too small.  I remembered that I had seen
> an example of using Xpra to scale a Linux desktop application and
> decided to see if I could do the same with this.  I set up a Docker
> container to bind Xpra to a TCP Port and am attaching to that port from
> the host port.
Xpra nows ships a utility command for doing this sort of scaling, try:
run_scaled yourapp

> Unfortunately, I'm getting very inconsistent results.  When it works,
> things are properly scaled (by 2x) and work as I would expect.  However,
> many times, I end up with a completely black window.  I've tried many
> different combinations of options on both the container (server) side
> and the attach side.  I've tried to disable as much functionality as
> possible as well.  In the end, I'm just not getting a consistent
> non-black display.
Can you reproduce the problem with a regular application or just this one?

> Can anyone suggest how to troubleshoot this issue?  The fact that it
> seems to work sometimes makes me feel like I'm close to a solution.
That's a fair assessment.
Please see:
https://github.com/Xpra-org/xpra/wiki/Reporting-Bugs
And create a ticket there.
We should be able to sort this out quickly.

PS: the mailing list remains in emergency moderation mode following one
spammy message last month. It may take longer than usual to post and get